05 October 2011

Goodbye Rainbow Light

I've been using Rainbow Light Complete Prenatal System as my prenatal vitamins. I've been taking it even before we went full steam ahead with TTC. One big pill (a.k.a. horse pill-sized) everyday with MorDHA supplement. Plus, I like a brand name that has the word 'rainbow' in it. Yes, I've become desperately superstitious like that in my TTC journey.

But since I got pregnant, the bottle said I should be taking three of these pills a day. Argh. Swallowing one pill is tough enough but to take down three would definitely be a struggle. So I take one three times a day, which is quite manageable. More or less.

The thing is, I started having terrible, terrible stomachaches lately. The kind that's debilitating and gut-cringe-inducing. I didn't know what was causing it - dairy? cold smoothie? orange juice? I decided to cut down on some food to figure out the cause. I never felt anything like this during my first pregnancy and I'm at my wit's end. It's so terrible I can't concentrate and focus on work stuffs.

Well not eating some types of food didn't yield any result. I still experienced the stomachache from hell. The hubby suggested I try skipping my herbs or vitamins. So I tried the herbs. I usually take three pills three times a day. And decided not to take them for a day.

Ugh. No good. I still had stomachache all day. And the onset of nausea made it worse. I was miserable. I weepily complained to Dave about it and he wished he could help me out or take my pain away for a little while. He hated seeing me hunched down and unable to eat properly because of the stomachache. Thank goodness for hot ginger tea. It eased a little bit of the pain and made me sleep a little better.

The next day, I skipped taking my prenatal vitamins. And what do you know, I didn't experience stomachache all day! I finally felt normal except for the little bit of nausea. What a relief! Dave was happy about the outcome of my little experiment. Apparently, Rainbow Light was the culprit, the bane to my boon, the gosh-darn-cause-of-my-belly-woes and I just have to stop taking it.

To think I bought a big bottle of it to last me for a couple of months a few days ago. I better take those back and get me a new brand of prenatal vitamins. My acupuncturist suggested New Chapter Organic Prenatal Vitamins. So I bought a small bottle to try just in case it ends up not agreeing with my stomach. I tried taking one pill three times a day. So far, so good. I also love how the pills are smaller and easier to swallow. What a relief!

So here ends my affair with Rainbow Light. I'm sorry I'm a bit sentimental about it. I've grown attached to the horse pill because it saw me through my TTC days. And like I said, I like the brand name. It made me think it would grant me the good fortune to conceive a rainbow baby. But alas, we have to part ways for the well-being of my belly.

No comments: