11 October 2011

Third U/S and first OB visit

We had our first visit with the regular OB today. She's in the same practice as the first OB we saw for fertility consultation. It went well than I expected. We talked to her about our concerns and she gave us a plan on how this pregnancy is going to be handled. I liked that she said, "Sorry for your loss," when we told her about Kai.

I was surprised really. Some doctors I've encountered so far didn't say anything resembling these words. Even the first OB we saw just shook his and said: "That's very unfortunate." So we got off on the right foot eventhough I have a couple of apprehensions about seeing this OB. I didn't have enough time to read about her, how her staff are and what others under her care are saying.

We waited a long while to see her. But before that, we had our third ultrasound. Of course, I was a little bit nervous again. We did a trans-abdominal u/s this time, thank goodness. I'm on my 9th week and I was really expecting another date with the dildo cam again! I tell you, the relief distracted me away from my nervousness for a bit. When we saw The Little Bug again, wow, he or she looks different. Tiny buds for limbs, round head, a body where we could see the little spine.

While TLB was bobbing up and down, I said one word to the technician - "Heartbeat?" And he turned on the volume - wap, wap, wap, wap, wap. That sound always calm my nerves. "A healthy 188 bpm," said the technician. I almost cried with relief. As you can see, this is a bigger relief than the dildo cam non-date.

The technician said The Little Bug is measuring two weeks ahead. "What?! I'm only on my 9th week, is that even normal?"I said, a little worried. But he was quick to point out that it may not be accurate and that the doctor can explain it further. So the hubby and I were a bit perplexed but I told him, "I guess it's better ahead than falling behind." It was definitely one of the questions we would ask the OB when we see her.

So we waited patiently for our turn to be called in. When we finally got to see her, we were ready to discuss everything. She was no-nonsense, got straight to the point and went through our histories in a breeze. She already had forms ready for my first trimester screen, NT scan and Level 2 detailed ultrasound appointments before I asked about them.

She checked me and did my pap smear test.  Then she went through the third ultrasound results with us. She was as perplexed as we were but she reassured us that the NT scan will give us an accurate gestational age. "There's nothing to worry about. For now, let's peg your due date as May 13, 2012," she said. So we just let it go since it was no use worrying about it too much. The important thing was that TLB has a heartbeat and growing well.

I told my acupuncturist that the bug is measuring two weeks ahead and she said it was good news. "Mothers under the care of acupuncture tend to have babies that are ahead," she added. I don't know if there's scientific proof to back her statement but I'd take whatever reassuring news I could get.

Here's The Little Bug's third ultrasound pic. It's my favorite so far.

No comments: