08 September 2011

Blood Draws

I went to my second blood draw yesterday. I had my first last Friday when I called the OB and requested one. I was glad the clinic gave me a slot right away and didn't have to wait. I would be calling them next week for the result of my progesterone count.

For the meantime, the people at the acupuncture clinic I go to was happy to know I got pregnant. Good thing they didn't congratulate me. I don't know what to say if they congratulated me. I'll probably mutter something, "Um, well, that is if I get to take this baby home alive and well. Let's wait and see shall we?"

They know my history so I don't need to re-tell them about it. My favorite acupuncturist just said, "Great news! That's what we like around here, for people to get pregnant right away." I think they've developed a particular sensitivity as they've been taking care of a lot of women with fertility issues. 

The staff is not gushing over you when you get pregnant, they don't try to ask you how's the baby doing while you're waiting in the waiting room with other women who are trying to get pregnant. They do all the questions when you're in the treatment room instead. And this is a good thing because I wouldn't want to hear people get all gushy around a pregnant woman when I'm not (yet) pregnant myself. And now that I'm pregnant, I would want to be as sensitive to other women there.

I'm set to do acupuncture twice a week until I'm 13 weeks. I'm also given moxibustion treatments and a Chinese herb to take for 13 weeks. I'm familiar with moxibustion as Dave and I did it with my pregnancy with Kai. He was transverse lie or lying horizontal in my belly on my 37th week. So to encourage him to turn our then acupuncturist told us to do moxi burning before our scheduled external version at the hospital. But it was too late for it to work.

So now, I'm given an assignment to do moxi burning on my own twice a day every day before every appointment. This is to prevent a miscarriage and keep one's blood flowing as the baby grows. Well, I would have done just about anything to keep this pregnancy. I just wish there's something I could do to ensure the outcome would be a good one. Like I said, I'd even do the most outrageous thing - tie myself up a ceiling fan upside down or something like it.

The OB said if the blood results look good, we'll have our first ultrasound to see if there's really a baby in my womb. Great, now if only my worry-wart mind would quit nagging me with bad thoughts. *sigh*

No comments: