03 November 2011

Meetup with CNM

Just a quick update: We saw the CNM in the new OB clinic. We didn't have to re-do what we did with the previous OB. But we did go through our histories and tell her about Kai's stillbirth. She was very sympathetic with what happened to us and laid out an almost the same plan as the previous OB did - early monitoring, keeping a close eye on risk factors etc.

But we mostly talked about how I'm really feeling about this subsequent pregnancy, my state of mind, my fears and whatever crazy sh!t I sometimes conjure up when I'm not going to the OB. Good thing, the CNM is this plump-ish, motherly lady who is ready to give a reassurance or two without being overly enthusiastic or having that "don't-worry-everything-will-be-fine" attitude. I like that.

She did an ultrasound before we left eventhough the technician wasn't in. It was as if she read my mind and just said, "Let's do a quick ultrasound and see how the baby is doing." Boy, was I relieved. If she didn't offer, I would have definitely asked for one. If only to set my mind at ease.

She also told me to call anytime whenever I feel anxious or just want to hear the baby's heartbeat. They would definitely accommodate me or if they have to, they'll take me to the Labor and Delivery at their chosen hospital.

Speaking of hospitals, I'd like that we're going to a different one from the hospital I birthed Kai in. I don't have good memories of that place. I mean we were treated good considering the circumstances we were in, but it's just not the kind of place I would go back to for a hospital birth. The familiarity of that place still stings me. It's never going to be a nostalgic place for me. Not the good kind.

Anyway, our first visit at the new OB practice went well. Dave was also comfortable with talking to the CNM and the staff, which is a good thing. Next visit, we'll meet the OB. It's good to know that I'll be receiving care from a team who will look out for my well-being as a whole and not just treat me as medically high risk. 

(Here's The Little Bug's latest ultrasound pic, btw. He/she is caught showing his/her backside. Dave said: "That's one cute little butt." Just funny.)

Shake that booty, TLB!

No comments: