20 November 2011

Look What I Did

In an effort to fill my pregnancy days with distraction, I turn to crafting. My latest project: loom-knitted hats. Yes, I recently found out how easy it was to use a loom to knit. Thanks to some awesome Youtube videos. So I went to Jo-Ann's Fabric Store (I haven't set foot in this store for more than four months while before I think I go there every other week for crafts and wool felts) yesterday and got me a set of round looms and different colored yarns.

I've never been good at crocheting. I remember my mom did all my crocheting projects in school since I didn't have the patience for it. I wasn't also making any progress beyond a single chain stitch even if my mom was there to teach me. A doily made by moi? Not gonna happen. Now some people say, knitting is easier to learn but I haven't really tried it. 

But knitting with a round loom, it's quite a breeze. Here are the hats I started as soon as I got home from Jo-Ann's and finished today.  Now I'm addicted.

I was ambitious. I started out with two organic cotton yarns. Not really that easy because the yarns kept twisting and tangling. And obsessive-compulsive me just kept un-twisting and de-tangling as I knit. It was annoying. Not to mention I have to stop our cat, Momo, from playing with the yarns and swatting at the threads as I knit every so often. I finally found a great solution for this, a water spritzer by my side. If she jumps on the couch to get at the yarn, I spritz her face and she jumps off and runs away until she regains her courage and tries again! LOL.

I got so excited when I saw the hat taking shape before my eyes. I can't believe it's coming together nicely.

Close-up of the stitching. Or should I call them knitting.

The finished products: two newborn hats! The green one is only one yarn and it took only an hour or less to finish. I should have started with one yarn first huh. Then I went on Youtube to learn how to make the tiny pom pom that I could attach to the green hat. They turned out pretty neat. I love it. Stay tuned for my next projects: adult hats, one for me and one for the hubby and a couple for Christmas gift-giving. And probably some scarves, too! :)

No comments: